saerch

Custom Search

Monday, June 23, 2008

Fabregas wary of Russia challenge


UEFA EURO 2008 SEMI-FINAL: Russia v Spain
Date: Thu 26 June Kick-off: 1945 BST Venue: Ernst Happel Stadion, Vienna


Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas
Fabregas is pressing for a starting place in the Spanish side

Spain's Cesc Fabregas has warned his team-mates not to expect a repeat of their 4-1 thrashing of Russia when they meet in the Euro 2008 semi-finals.

Spain beat Russia in their opening game and they meet on Thursday in Vienna.

But Fabregas, who scored the winning shoot-out penalty against Italy on Sunday, said: "If we think it will be the same, we will be very mistaken."

Luis Aragones, meanwhile, says he still plans to quit as coach after Euro 2008 despite Spain's impressive form so far.

The 69-year-old said: "I would like to thank everyone for the compliments they have paid us.

"But the Federation and all of you know that my time as coach will come to an end whatever happens at this tournament."

Spain came through a difficult contest with the Italians in Vienna on Sunday, being held to a 0-0 draw after extra time and eventually coming through 4-2 on penalties after two brilliant saves from goalkeeper Iker Casillas.

Fabregas came off the bench in the second half and the Arsenal star says he does not care how big a part he plays as long as Spain continue to be successful.

He added: "I just want to help the team and if that means coming on in the last half hour that is fine. I don't want the glory just for myself, I want it for Spain.

"The boss came on to the pitch after extra time and gave the names out.

"I've always felt that he has faith in me, and he showed that by naming me number five which is normally the crucial penalty.

"It has been difficult for some people to have confidence in me when I play for Spain, but I know that life sometimes give you the chance to prove yourself.

"However, we need to keep our feet on the ground if we are to win this tournament."

No comments: