saerch

Custom Search

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fire still burns in Italian bellies


Fire still burns in Italian bellies




Italy held their first pre-UEFA EURO 2008™ training session in Coverciano on Sunday and left-back Gianluca Zambrotta says the squad are as motivated now as they were before the FIFA World Cup triumph two years ago.

'Motivation'
The 31-year-old said: "This team have the same hunger for success as we had two years ago – the same motivation. I believe we can go all the way." Italy, who face Belgium in a 30 May friendly in Florence, kick off their UEFA EURO 2008™ campaign against the Netherlands on 9 June before further Group C tests against Romania and France. "Our group is extremely difficult," the FC Barcelona player added. "If we qualify, we will be in a strong position to go all the way and lift the trophy."

Cassano inclusion
Coach Roberto Donadoni surprised many by including Antonio Cassano in his selection but Zambrotta believes the UC Sampdoria forward can give the Azzurri something extra. "I think the coach took into consideration his form and I reckon Cassano can make a great contribution," he said. "Alessandro Del Piero is also in great shape and can help us."

'Grey hairs'
Donadoni has insisted there will be no special treatment for Cassano, who has had a turbulent career at club and international levels. "I have grey hairs on my head and I can give him some advice," Donadoni said. "However, my relationship with Antonio will be the same as with any other player. Cassano is not an alien and I will speak to him clearly about the behaviour I expect from my players, on and off the pitch, as I will do with all the others."

Unexpected guests
Italy's first training session was suspended when two women ran on to the pitch and stripped to their underwear. Security guards took the intruders away before training resumed, with Donadoni working on tactics. "These lads proved to me that they can play with different systems and I think this is a huge advantage," said the coach. "The important thing is to maintain a balance. If we do, players like Del Piero and Cassano can certainly play together. We have plenty of skill in this team alongside other qualities."

No comments: