saerch

Custom Search

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Shock illness ends Payer's EURO dream


Shock illness ends Payer's EURO dream




Austria goalkeeper Helge Payer has been ruled out of UEFA EURO 2008™ and replaced in the squad by Ramazan Özcan because he urgently needs an operation for a stomach condition.

Shock diagnosis
The 28-year-old from Bundesliga champions SK Rapid Wien was coach Josef Hickerberger's likely tournament No1 until being diagnosed with partially blocked veins in the stomach during the last 24 hours. Payer broke down in training on Monday with pains in his back and stomach, prompting team medics to perform an MRI scan and further tests. With the player requiring immediate treatment, he has been transferred to Vienna to a vascular surgery unit.

'No physical activity'
Austria doctor Ernst Schopp said: "Helge will be unable to undertake any physical activity for some time." Payer, who had looked favourite to keep goal in the finals ahead of Jürgen Macho and Alex Manninger, said of what is a devastating career blow: "My greatest wish was to be the No1 keeper at the EURO, but my health is more important. On the one hand I'm sad about being unable to fulfil my dream, but on the other I'm happy I saw the doctor when I did. I'll have to follow the EURO from my sick bed and I wish my team-mates all the best and an injury-free tournament." He won the last of his 15 caps in March, against the Netherlands.

Özcan call-up
Payer's replacement, Ramazan Özcan, caught the eye this season by helping TSG 1899 Hoffenheim achieve promotion to the German Bundesliga. The 23-year-old, capped at Under-21 level, moved on loan to Hoffenheim from FC Salzburg in January and had done enough by April to earn a three-year deal with his new club.

No comments: